Happiest of Thursday’s to all of you! It’s almost Fri-Yay! I always look forward to the weekend to be with my crew. No better feeling than waking up knowing you don’t have to go to work, can I get an Amen?! I am teaming up with a great brand today called Soffe! I remember wearing Soffe shorts in high school for our dance team gear and they were the RAGE, so sitting here collaborating with them is mind blowing to me! Today we are talking all about why working out (and being physically active in general) is so incredibly good for you. It is all about mind, body and soul. There is a reason why it becomes and “obsession” as some like to call it. Once you make it a part of your every day, it truly can be, but in the best way possible.
Being physically active is one of the best things we can do for our bodies. We were MADE and created to move. Think back to civilization before there were planes, trains, and cars. People had to move (and move a lot!) to get from point A to point B. There was no sitting all day at a desk or coming home to watching TV for hours, people were constantly moving and grooving!
Being active releases endorphins, a neuro-chemical that triggers a positive feeling. These endorphins are to blame for the positive effects we feel after a good workout! It is true what they say, you will never regret a workout! No matter how big or small, each session counts!
Once I made working out a priority in my life and a healthy habit, I truly cannot go more than a day without it! I train 6 days a week with a much needed rest day on the 7th day. It is not that I feel I have to workout but that I get to workout. My body has been trained to the point where it expects it. If I miss a day, it really does affect me. I feel off and I feel sluggish. Without those endorphins, I struggle! With that being said, working out has made me a more body-positive person. Yes, I still have my days where comparisons happen and my expectations for myself can be high, but I know that I have built my body from the ground up and that is something to be proud of. To look myself in the mirror and think “I did this!” There is no better feeling! Working out is true self love and one of the best things you can do for yourself. All it takes is that first foot forward to get started.
Being active is a natural medicine. Physical activity can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases like Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease. Most importantly, it improves your quality of life! For me, it is to be confident that I can play and run with my daughter with ease (although she still drains me!). Having that is truly freeing. When I became a Mom, it wasn’t just for me anymore but for her. To show her day in and day out what living a healthy lifestyle is like just by my actions. My husband and I take pride in setting the example for her hoping one day she finds a love for it, too. I am not even talking about lifting weights or playing a sport, but loving to be on her feet and knowing smart health choices like the back of her hand (like water or soda).
Nutrition can and will change the way your body performs. I think back to how I ate in high school and how much better I could have performed for dance (and academics) if I had eaten better. I don’t think I ever drank a glass of pure water by itself, how sad! Again, I didn’t have that knowledge then and that is okay. I definitely would not be where I am today without my struggles and those are the things that keep me going!
5 Ways to Keeping an Active Routine:
- Make it a priority, not an option! We all have the same 24 hours in a day with no room for excuses. You are the only one that can get your feet going!
- If you are working out after work, do not sit down! Go straight to the gym if you are able. If you rest you are more likely to not train.
- Keep your goals visible. Write out an action plan and a set of goals you can see everyday. Whether it is a list on your mirror or your phone’s home screen, keep those goals visible!
- Don’t do it alone. Recruit an accountability partner. Whether this is a significant other, trainer, friend, etc. have someone know of your goals so they can help you stay accountable. Send daily texts to each other of words of encouragement!
- Fuel the body. Eat good, wholesome foods that keep you energized throughout the day. You can’t expect to stay active if your body doesn’t have the proper fuel. You wouldn’t put diesel fuel into a regular car, it wasn’t designed to process that kind of gas. Same goes for fast food and over-processed food, it just doesn’t break down the same
What are your guys’ favorite ways to staying active?! For me, I love to lift and implement HIIT cardio into my training! Comment below on why staying active is good for your mind, body and soul.
Are you an avid pinner?! It would mean the world to me if you could pin this image below!
This post was written in its entirety by me and all opinions are 100% my own.